Friday, September 12, 2008

The First 48

When I was working at the Red Cross shelters and the police would stop by to check in, many evacuees would ask if they knew certain detectives. I finally asked why that seemed to be the question of the century. The response was Emily, you don’t watch The First 48. I said no. The people from Memphis started laughing and told me not to watch it, I would want to go back North. Curiosity won, I watched my first episode last night.

  For those who have never seen it, the show is about detectives who try and solve murders within the first 48 hours. Well the case I saw was of a University of Memphis football player who was murdered in his hometown, Memphis. The scary part wasn’t realizing that I currently live four blocks away from the homicide headquarters, but I knew of the restaurants and intersections they were talking about.

  So none of you worry, the murder wasn’t random. The gentleman killed had recently won an $8,000 jackpot. Turns out an old high school rival whom he had recent run-ins with got wind of his new fortune. His enemy then commissioned three of his buddies to rob the football player. The robbery went bad and the football player was slain. Now all four of the men are awaiting their day in court. The murder is a truly sad but common story in the big cities.

I have to laugh every time I think about how crazy this world is. If I don’t laugh, I think I would be a very scared person. After watching this first episode I almost said, what did I get myself into? Not yet, I haven’t said it yet!  : ) 

No comments: